An Intro from Mom

On May 12, 2007 closed in the privacy of my bathroom I found out I was pregnant. The weight of knowledge that my life (and most likely my body) would never be the same was overwhelming. I was excited and scared all rolled into one (and still am!)

Thacker will do his best to share with you his adventures. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Our Nation's Capitol

Hi there! You caught up with us. We're on our Labor Day weekend adventure! We came up to northern Virginia last night and spent Friday night with Barrett and Danielle. Barrett has Legos and kitty cats and makes me laugh. Barrett rocks! This morning we drove into the city to catch up with Paul's brother David and his family. Now we're waiting for the Metro to go to the Mall. We've dubbed this summer my planes, trains, and automobile summer. 
And we're off. I'm figuring out how to ride the Metro like a pro. Danielle and Barrett are behind me for momentum support and Evelyn and her dad David are beside me. Evelyn is already a pro at this.
First stop is the Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History. Mom commented that she had never been through a museum at such lighting pace. Evelyn and I are fast learners.We learned about dinosaurs, whales, our ancestors, foxes, elephants, and lots of other stuff. Maybe we were motivated by the picnic that was to follow the museum. 
After a wonderful, prepared by David picnic on the Mall, we went in search of ice cream. Every one needs ice cream on a 90+ degree day in D.C.!! (Note empty ice cream stick in my mouth.)
The Washington Monument is still under scaffolding and work is being done to repair it from that earthquake we had a couple of years ago. This is as close as we can get. 
Barrett ran in search for soft serve ice cream for Danielle. She got her ice cream after I got mine but she needs help eating it really fast. I am happy to help. 
Wave to President Obama, First Lady Michelle, Sasha, Melia, and Bo from afar. (Look just to the left of Mom's right shoulder.)
Halfway between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, we explore the World War II Memorial. The water feature is great for a cooling splash.
This panoroma captures the beauty of the memorial and it's placement in Washington D.C. In the center, from left to right you can see Danielle, me on Barrett's back, Evelyn on David's back, and Mom. 
No surprise to anyone, I find more water at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial and manage to soak myself from head to toe. I don't want to suffer from heat stroke, so I am all about taking care of myself, which means in the water I'd go!
The Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial is our favorite. There are four sections each one signifying each term he served in office as president. The quotes, sculpture, and water features are powerful in conveying messages of the triumphs and hardships he endured while in office. 
I wait in line with these stoic fellows for my ration. 
One of FDR famous quotes states, "I have seen war.... I hate war." These crumbling rocks have the words "I Hate" blasted in one rock and "War" in another. I'm doing my part in crushing war too. 
Before heading back on our mile or so walk to the Metro, we enjoy one last glorious moment at one of the FDR water features. 
We are high on American freedom and a beautiful day in our nation's Capitol. To finish the day off, we need to burn through our last bit of energy. We run to the top of the stairs at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial. Why not?!? 

P.S. I won the race!