An Intro from Mom

On May 12, 2007 closed in the privacy of my bathroom I found out I was pregnant. The weight of knowledge that my life (and most likely my body) would never be the same was overwhelming. I was excited and scared all rolled into one (and still am!)

Thacker will do his best to share with you his adventures. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lego KidsFest

About two months ago, Mom, Paul, and I loaded up and headed to Richmond for a weekend of fun. We stayed with Aunt Sydney and Uncle Doug - always a fun duo. We timed it perfectly to catch Meredith's art show before it was disassembled the next day. Her art is AMAZING! What we thought was fiber art, turned  out to be intricate rolls of dried up paint. After perusing the rest of the art in the shared art studio space, we had lunch at the Urban Farmhouse (YUM!), and had just enough time to check out Meredith and Marc's downtown apartment. It was my first apartment experience ever! After playing with their dog Henry and looking in every crevice of their place, Mom, Paul, and I headed off to the Convention Center in quest of the Lego KidsFest!!!

We got there a little early so we were one of the first few in the cue for the afternoon session. The space didn't open until 3 p.m. (the poor workers were recovering from the morning session), so we patiently waited...and snapped a few pictures.

We strategized on which areas we would play first. 
The top of my list was Lego Technic which was at the opposite end of the space from where we were. 
Three o'clock finally arrived and the organizers had us count down, 
"3 - 2 - 1 LEGO!!!!!"
On our way to the Technic area we walked past a HUGE pile of Lego bricks. I was all smiles but had a set destination in mind. 
We found the Technic area and I LOVED navigating the monster truck over and around obstacles with the remote control. 
One of the other things I really loved about Lego KidsFest is this. Lego City structures were assembled on HUGE tables:  skyscrapers, towns, roadways, bridges. With many exhibits and shows, it's a "look don't touch" experience. At Lego KidsFest they encouraged us to play with the displays, rework them, rebuild them, use our creativity, and PLAY. It was GREAT!
The Lego Duplo area was LOUD. The bigger the bricks the bigger the sound, or maybe it was a factor of the younger kids?
Despite the sound, it was fun to build quickly, add a few inhabitants, and enjoy the CRASH when we knocked down the big tall towers. 
Needless to say, the brick pile spread out and collected LOTS of kids. It was like an indoor sandpile, except it was made out of Legos! (Don't try to find me in this picture. I'm not in it. I just wanted to share the craziness of the pile.)

Throughout the space, some Master Builders had been hard at work on some fabulous Lego statues. I enjoyed posing with a few of them. 
Lightning McQueen and my crazy race pose?
Incredible MaHulk (my pronunciation of his name) and I showing off our HUGE muscles

When asked at the end of the day what was my favorite part, I replied, "All of it!!" while grinning from ear to ear.