An Intro from Mom

On May 12, 2007 closed in the privacy of my bathroom I found out I was pregnant. The weight of knowledge that my life (and most likely my body) would never be the same was overwhelming. I was excited and scared all rolled into one (and still am!)

Thacker will do his best to share with you his adventures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Roadtrip to Montpelier

Hi there! You found me in one my favorite spots to play - with or without water. Since there is no water this time, I've worked up a thirst. Let's go grab a sippy cup, plop down in the living room and chat about my roadtrip to Montpelier last weekend. Bottoms up!

Mom and I hit the road at 8:30 a.m. last Saturday headed northeast for a 2-1/2 hour drive to Montpelier. Montpelier is the home of our fourth president and father of the Constitution, James Madison and his wife Dolly Madison, known for her fine decorating, style and hospitality. We met up with some of Mom's ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) friends and started the tour in the theatre. This was my first time to go to a theatre so I didn't quite understand that I shouldn't exclaim my excitement so loudly. Mom and I watched most of the film from the vestibule in the back of the theatre where I entertained myself on the scooters. I pretended the scooters were on and I was zooming around the property. After watching the movie, we walked over to house and began our house tour. Here we all are on the front steps of Montpelier. Mom and I are on the bottom left. Mom really liked the view from the north roof terrace and the Annie duPont Formal Garden.

I liked lunch. We ate in the cafeteria with some of Mom's friends. After lunch I found a broom near the vending machines and decided to do a little cleaning. Mom always tells me to leave things a little better than you found them. She learned this from Grandaddy.

On the way back home Mom got a bright idea and opted for a more scenic route than the interstate. We cruised 40 miles of Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah National Forest and 106 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a beautiful day for a drive through the mountains. We made mental notes of how long it took us to get to certain points so we can come back to hike and camp. Despite the added 1-1/2 hours to our trip time, getting a little hungry, and hoping Senna and Sprout were hanging tough in their kennels at home, it was worth it.

Tomorrow after I hang out at Mrs. Leah's for a bit and Mom takes the girls to puppy camp, Mom and I head out for Wilmington, DE to visit with Annie, Saabina, Nick and Kikimora for the weekend. Stay tuned for details of the trip.